The facilities of the Delaware County District Library are available for public gatherings of a non-profit, civic, cultural or educational character when the room is not being used for library-related activities. Use of meeting room facilities must take place in a responsible manner.
Meeting Room Use Policy
- All meetings must be free. No admission fees may be charged or donations collected.
- All meetings must be open to the public. Members of the public must be invited and encouraged to attend by the sponsoring agency.
- Fundraising events or solicitation of any kind are not permitted unless sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
- Meetings planned by a company or individual to promote, advertise or lead to the sale of a product or service are not permitted, nor are employee orientation or training programs.
- Reservations will be accepted from groups with a minimum of eight and maximum of seventy members. Smaller groups wishing to use the room may do so on an as available basis.
- Groups of children are welcome to use the room, but an application must be made by an adult and adult supervision of the group must be maintained at all times.
- The Library Board of Trustees reserves the right to review any or all applications and may demand sufficient time to make proper investigation before granting approval.
Fees and Liabilities
- The Library charges no fees for the use of the meeting room; however, groups may be assessed a $25 refundable deposit. The deposit will be refunded if the meeting room is left in the condition in which it was found.
- Additional charges may be imposed for any damage to or loss of library property in excess of the $25 deposit.
- The Library is not liable for injuries to people or damage to property of organizations using the room.
Guidelines for Meeting Room Use
- Only light refreshments and no alcoholic beverages may be served. Meeting room must be left free of crumbs, waste, etc. The Library provides no equipment or services for the serving of refreshments.
- Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the library.
- Each group using the room is responsible for setting up the room and returning it to its original condition. Lights are to be turned off at the conclusion of the meeting.
- The room is to be vacated by 10:00 p.m. and is not accessible before 8:00 a.m.
- The Library is unable to provide storage space for groups using the room; therefore, any food, beverages or personal items left in the meeting room on the day following a meeting will be discarded.
Reservations and Cancellations
- An application for the use of the meeting room must be made in person, signed by a representative of the group and filed with the library.
- Requests for the use of the room may be made at the circulation desk at least two weeks prior to the meeting but no more than six months prior to the meeting date.
- A maximum of two meetings per month may be scheduled with a total of six per year during evening hours (after 5:00 p.m.). The Library Director or the Board of Trustees must approve long-term or multiple engagements.
- Requests will be considered on first-come, first-served basis.
- Applicants will receive confirmation by mail verifying date, time and acceptance or denial of request. The postcard received in the mail must be presented at the time of use.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel prior meeting room reservations without notice in the event of emergency, such as snow closings or unsafe building conditions.
- Library staff should be notified as soon as possible if a meeting scheduled for the room has been canceled.
- The name, address or phone number of the Delaware County District Library may not be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization.
- The use of the meeting room by a non-library group shall not be publicized in such a way as to imply library sponsorship of the group's activities.