Cosplay Contest Rules
Download a PDF of the rules here, or read on!
To participate in the Cosplay Contest, all contestants must register BEFORE 1 PM on the day of the contest. No exceptions will be granted to those who miss this final deadline.
The Cosplay Contest is for all ages, everyone is welcome! There will be a first, second, and third place prize, along with two honorable mentions. Contestants are judged on their overall creativity, performance, construction and presentation of their costume, as well as their general embodiment of their character.
Runway walks must be appropriate for all ages—no explicit gestures, nudity, or any type of physical interaction with audience members. No gun-like weapons/props are allowed in the building. We do not allow throwing of glitter or confetti. No projectiles, flash pots, flash paper, explosive devices, pyrotechnics, or special effects of any kind are allowed.
There is no group category; all contestants must walk as individuals. Contestants in the children’s division may walk with an adult, but only the child’s costume will be judged.
New to this year, the different age divisions will walk at set times throughout the early afternoon, to prevent general confusion and overcrowding. At each division’s set time, all contestants will be called behind the main stage to line up and then walk. If a contestant arrives after their division has begun walking, they will not be allowed to participate. Contestants are encouraged to begin arriving at the main stage 5-10 minutes before their age division’s set time begins.
The schedule of the contest is as follows:
1:00 PM – Final Registration Cut-Off
1:45 PM – Begin Children’s Line-Up & Reminder: Contest Soon to Start
2:00 PM – Children’s Category
2:30 PM – Teen Category
3:00 PM – Adult Category
3:30 PM – Staff Cosplay
3:45-4:00 PM – Winners Announced & Prizes Awarded
Contestants need not stay and watch every contestant walk the runway. Individuals are welcome to leave the main stage audience area to enjoy other Geek Fest activities and return when awards are given at 3:45 PM. Should a contestant be unable to return to the stage and claim their prize, they will be contacted after GeekFest with other opportunities to do so.
First, Second, and Third Prize Boxes contain a variety of goodies from a multitude of fandoms! Such content includes but is not limited to: books and graphic novels, DVDs/Blurays, Funko Pop figures, tabletop gaming memorabilia, soundtrack CDs, art supplies, and more. Honorable Mentions (2) prizes will be awarded a button and commemorative GGF cup filled with geeky swag!
General GeekFest Policies
Please click here to download a copy of Great GeekFest rules and policies.
The Great Geek Fest – Rules and Regulations
- All standard library policies apply.
- NO GUNS, FACSIMILES OF GUNS, OR ANYTHING THAT REMOTELY RESEMBLES A GUN WILL BE PERMITTED. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- No functional props or weapons are allowed at the Great Geek Fest. Projectile props and weapons must be rendered non-functional.
- All props and weapons must be inspected and tagged at the Weapons Check booth in the lobby.
- All props and weapons must conform to state and federal law, as well as library policy.
- All props and weapons must be constructed of foam, plastic, or wood and have no sharp edges. No metal.
- Library staff, volunteers, and security have the authority to confiscate any prop or weapon at any time and for any reason.
- If your prop or weapon is not approved by the Weapons Check booth, you may not bring it into the library. Failure to comply will result in expulsion from the premises and may also involve local law enforcement.
- Shoes are required to be worn at all times, and nudity is not permitted.
- Cosplay must be appropriate for an all ages Con.
- Your costume may not shed in any way. This includes excessive glitter, excessive fur or feathers, fake blood, makeup, etc.
- If you wish to take a photo of or record someone, ask their permission first. Respect their answer.
- No animals, other than service animals, are permitted.
- No sales are permitted, except by vendors who have obtained the library’s permission prior to the event.
- These rules apply to all library users the day of the Great Geek Fest, whether or not you are wearing a costume or participating in the Con.
- Finally, COSPLAY IS NOT CONSENT!
The Great Geek Fest and the Delaware County District Library WILL NOT TOLERATE harassment of any kind, including but not limited to:
- offensive verbal comments
- physical assault and/or battery
- harassing or non-consensual photography or recording
- sustained disruption of panels and other events
- bathroom policing
- inappropriate physical contact
- unwelcome physical attention
- in relation to, but not limited to:
- national origin
- gender identity
- gender presentation
- sexual orientation
- body size
If a person engages in harassing behavior, Library Staff will take prompt action in any form they deem appropriate, including expulsion from the event. Our policy applies to EVERYONE at the convention. Exhibitors, Fans (Attendees), Speakers, Guests, Professionals, Press, Staff, Volunteers, and Security are all subject to our Anti-Harassment Policy.
Anyone can report harassment. If someone’s behavior has made you uncomfortable, or if you witness the same happening to someone else, you should immediately contact a Library Staff Member, Security Officer or Volunteer.
If necessary, we will contact local law enforcement, provide escort, offer a safe place or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to make sure they feel safe for the rest of the event.
Remember: Cosplay is not consent. Keep your hands to yourself. If you would like to take a picture with or of another GGF attendee, always ask first and respect that person’s right to say no. When at GGF, be respectful, be nice, be cool and be kind to each other.
The Great Geek Fest Committee’s mission is to create a fun, safe, welcoming, awesome event where Fans of all kinds can come together and celebrate. We want you to not only have the most amazing day ever, but to experience it in an environment where you are safe and accepted. As Fans ourselves, we understand the importance of creating a safe space for everyone who attends The Great Geek Fest.