History

For over 100 years, the Delaware County District Library has been dedicated to serving the interests and changing needs of our customers through a variety of resources, materials, programs, and services. 

1890   First public library in Delaware, Ohio grows from a women's reading club.
1897  Women's club begins to expand library service to the community.
1904  Construction of new building at 101 N Sandusky St begins with a gift of $25,000 by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
1951  The library officially becomes the Delaware County District Library system.
1984  The library moves to current Winter St location
1990  $4.5 million bond issue passed by Delaware voters to expand the Delaware branch and construct Powell and Ostrander branch libraries
1991  Ostrander Branch Library opens to the public
1992  Renovated Delaware Main Library opens to the public
1993  Powell Branch Library opens to the public
2004  Delaware expands public space on the first floor and relocates administrative offices to the second floor
2009   Delaware County voters pass a levy that allows for extending hours at all branches, increasing materials in the collection, improving technology, and building a new 33,000 square foot branch in Orange Township
2011  Orange Branch Library opens to the public